Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fabric covered cardboard box

My house is a mess. I am trying to figure out how to organize and manage all of Dylan's toys since he got a few for Christmas and some hand me downs from people from work. Again, enter: Pinterest. I Pinterest searched a way to use things that I already had in my house and I found a good tutorial for covering diaper boxes in fabric.

I found this one: DIY On The Cheap

and this one: Mandy's Krafty Exploits

to be most useful. I love these because they don't have to be perfect. Here's my version.....

Supplies:
*Cardboard box (I used the box that paper comes in at work)
*3 yards of fabric
*Fabric fusion glue
*Rotary cutter
*Rotary cutting mat
*Ruler

1. First I cut the fabric down to 3 separate yards. Then I laid it on the floor, wrong side up. I put the box right in the middle. I drew a 2 inch line diagonal from each corner.

2. Then I drew 2 straight lines coming out each end at the end of my 2 inch line. Does that make sense? :) I did this for each corner.

3. Cut off the 4 squares that you just made and cut on the diagonal line.







4. Then I glued up the long sides to the side of the box (I really suck at taking pictures)

5. Before I glued up the short sides, I folded over the edge so that there was no raw edge showing. After I did this, I realized that I could've just folded the entire edge over instead of a tiny bit....my way was a mess.

6. After all of that, I had a fabric covered box!



 My next project is to either make a red liner for it or cover the lids from the box in red...I am leaning toward covering the lid in red. No measuring that way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment