Friday, September 7, 2012

Induction

Well, here we are - hopefully less than 24 hours away from your arrival, little one.

At my 40 week appointment (which when I made it, I said "No way I'll be here for that.") the doctor (Gallo, our favorite) told me that I was still 3 cm and about 80% effaced.  He then sat down at his chair and said "so when do you want to have this baby?"  I didn't want to seem like the girl that was so uncomfortable and so selfish that I wanted to schedule when my baby would come.  I asked him his opinion and we went back and forth for about 15 minutes.  Dan said he didn't care either way.  Dr. Gallo said if I was still pregnant in a week, then we definitely needed to schedule an induction.  But right now, it was up to me, because my body had made some progress on its own.  If I was 0 cm, then he would say see you next week.

Dan and I took all of this information and went home with it.  I struggled a lot with the decision.  I finally decided I wanted to schedule it, but it was just a matter of Friday or Monday. I eventually called to schedule it for Friday (because that way Dan would take Friday through Thursday off, go to work for one day, and then be home for another weekend) but they were booked.  So she scheduled me for Saturday, which surprised me, because Dr. Gallo said that they generally don't schedule for weekends.

So here we are, the night before my induction, watching football.  I seriously never thought I would be here.  I remember finding out I was pregnant and immediately rushing through things that I wanted to get done around the house before he came.  Ultimately, we got most of it done, but it is just so crazy to think that it's happening.  I originally  didn't want to be induced, but this works for our family.  He's been in there for 41 weeks, I think he's ready.  The doctor basically told us it was safe and that the rumor of inductions leading to more c-sections is just that - a rumor.  I am kind of bummed that I won't have a cool water breaking or contraction story, but I'm also glad that I'll be in a hospital with nurses/husband/family to help me through it all.

I am not sharing the news of the induction on facebook or anything.  And since only close friends and family read this blog, I feel safe writing about it.  We really decided that no announcement will be made on facebook by us (or anyone for that matter) until we have notified everyone that WE want.  In fact, I'm going to shut down my wall just to be sure no one spoils the news :)

 I can't wait to see what he looks like.  I can't wait to hold him. I can't wait to see everyone's face when they meet him and love up on him.  The amount of love that this child already has is insane.  I can only imagine what it will be like when he's here.

40 years ago doctors wouldn't even think about induction.  It took me a while to stop feeling selfish about inducing. Like I said, I struggled.  But ultimately, it was mine and Dan's decision, and this is what we chose.  And I could not be more excited for tomorrow :)

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be great!No scary unpredictable start to labor like you were worried about. Saying prayers for your little one and you. So excited to see a picture of his sweet face :) Rock it out mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Can't wait to introduce him to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking about you all day! Hope things are going well and moving along. Come on out sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete