Saturday, March 10, 2012

Feeling crafty

Today I dropped Dan off at the Elmhurst St. Patrick's Day Parade and went to Hobby Lobby.  I wasn't feeling rage today...I was feeling crafty.

The things I had originally wanted to get they did not have (Easter socks to make more legwarmers for Etsy and pacifier clips to make for Etsy) so I got bummed out.  I decided that when baby gets here (and I when I am nice and plump....or "Large Marge" as my good friend Laura would say) I won't be able to do all of the pinterest-y crafty things I want.  So I decided something needed to go up above my sink in my kitchen.

I bought a wooden "R" and some scrapbooking paper and mod podge (where have you been all my life?!) and a few picture frames.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I am the queen of getting stuff together and then failing miserably at DIY projects and then I wasted all this money and the craft gets thrown into a bag and shoved into the basement.  Not anymore!  I am determined to follow through with all of my stuff.  So since I had the day to myself (short of needing to go pick up Dan in the afternoon) I figured what the heck.  I also bought some scrapbooking paper to cover the light switch covers in the bathroom, too.

So first I traced the letter "R" ($2.00 at Hobby Lobby) onto the back side of the paper ($.59). 


I cut out the letter with a little extra room for error, because like I said before, I make LOTS of mistakes.  So this should be easy for everyone else.  If I can do it, so can you.

Then I (sort of forgot I was taking pictures at this point....sorry....) put mod podge on the white side of the paper and the front side of the "R."  When you put the paper onto the letter, be very careful!  My finished product has lots of air bubbles and the paper ripped a few times but since it's high up on a wall, you can't even tell.  You're not allowed to mention this if you ever come to my house though. :)

So this is what it looks like from the back.  After it dried, I put some more mod podge all over the front (insert picture of that here).  After that layer dried I went around the letter and cut off most of the excess paper around the letter.  This was not easy.  But for some reason, I had much more patience for a craft that I was not ending up selling.

Then I hot glued a ribbon to the back of it.  (Insert picture here...sorry, I suck).  For the frames, I found a quotes I love ("We may not have it all together but together we have it all") and prettied them up to match the red in the "R" and in my kitchen.  Apparently I love red.  I also currently have an obsession with ladybugs.  Gosh I hope this baby is a girl.... ;)

My mom asked me how I hung all those up (because hubby is sleeping off a drunk afternoon...AHEM napping) and I told her I flew...I guess pregnant women aren't supposed to be on ladders.


Please excuse my disgusting kitchen...going to clean it now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment